The love of softball continues year round!! Fall Ball offers the fun opportunity to build skills for returning players and even introduce new players to the great sport of girls’ fastpitch softball in a more informal setting. If you are looking for info about our Spring Softball program, please follow the pull down menus above.
Register for Fall Softball
Register Here for Fall 2018»
Fall Ball offers a more casual environment which includes age group clinic practice once per week and exhibition games on Sunday afternoons. This fun structure includes adjusted age group rules focused on player development – such as limits for pitchers, runs, etc. Players add skills, try new positions, and even test out a new age group if they are ready.
- Fall Ball exhibition games are Sunday afternoons in September and October, starting after Labor Day
- Practice starts in mid/late August around “Back to School”
- Online registration covers all age groups: 8U, 10U, 12U, 16U
- Girls ages are determined as of January 1st for that year – so girls can play at their current age group from Spring
- For girls transitioning between age groups in preparation for NEXT Spring, families may desire their players to move up to get some early experience with rules changes and additional competition. Coaches will help us determine readiness and we’ll review space limitations and skill level to help us with these decisions. Let us know in your registration comments (or send an email) if you’d like to be considered.
- LOUYAA partners with Frederick County Girls Softball League (FCGSL) for our Fall Ball program
- Game locations throughout Frederick County
- Priority registration – please register early to reserve your spot
- Teams are formed based on space
- We also need volunteers to help coach at all levels – find the Volunteer link on LOUYAA’s main page to sign up.
- LOUYAA Fall Ball fees include a camp fee which covers our basic program costs for the Fall development program, as well as a uniform fee which covers player t-shirts and the highly-coveted “Fall Ball” hoodie – exclusively offered as a badge of honor to our Fall Ball players!! [For all LOUYAA players: All outdoor sports are currently assessed a Field Fee ($10) by LOUYAA for each season. For returning players: your annual LOUYAA Family Fee also covers Fall Ball.]
LOUYAA and our fellow community partner orgs are looking forward to continuing our annual Fall Ball partnership with FCGSL. Fall Ball provides the unique opportunity for our players to team together and learn the sport through exhibition play with other county teams. LOUYAA Softball typically fields Fall Ball teams at all age groups – 8U, 10U, 12U, and 15U – but demand, space, and volunteers for coaching will help us determine our participation. As in Spring, we include interested players (and coaches) at ALL skill levels. As our many player alumni can attest, the Fall Ball environment allows girls to enhance their abilities while also picking up new skills and trying new positions.
Because of the light schedule, our players often keep up with their softball friends (and skills) while also juggling other Fall sports or activities. Fall Ball practices are once a week and typically begin as the girls return to school – games are also once a week and will be played for eight weeks on Sunday afternoons in September after Labor Day until the end of October. While exhibitions can have various formats, our timed sessions are played with game structure. The Sunday sessions always last no more than 2 1/2 hours which allows for us to work around other family activities like football games!!
Different start times are established by age group – usually sessions start at either 1 p.m. (8U and 12U) or 3:30 p.m. (10U and 15U). Area teams are grouped by location so LOUYAA teams usually play at regional sites in the southern portion of the county, including Urbana Park, Frederick, Middletown, and Walkersville, but can travel a bit further too such as Thurmont or Emmitsburg. Team practices will be at normal LOUYAA fields (Windsor Knolls, Green Valley or LOUYAA Park in New Market).
Game specifics and practice days will be worked out based on team numbers. In past years, LOUYAA has been the largest participant in FCGSL Fall Ball. Since no standings are kept, Fall Ball provides an instructional atmosphere and includes special considerations like player rotation and limits on innings pitched to maximize opportunities. Thanks to all the families for your continued support for the Softball Program.
As always, we look forward to seeing you and your girls out on the diamond!